The Bulgarian Center for Not-for-Profit Law (BCNL) was founded in July 2001 and is incorporated as a public-benefit foundation. BCNL operates in close partnership with the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL), based on an Affiliation Agreement. Our organization has access to ICNL’s rich documentary archives where information about national legislations and studies on NGOs from more than 115 countries worldwide is stored.
BCNL’s mission is to provide support for the drafting and implementation of legislation and policies aiming to advance civil society, civil participation and good governance in Bulgaria.
BCNL pursues its mission with the strong belief that the improvement of the NGO legal framework is instrumental for the creation of an independent and prosperous civil society.
Our main goals are:
• to support the development and strengthening of an enabling legal and policy environment for an independent civil society, incl. non¬governmental, not-for-profit organizations (NGOs), in Bulgaria;
• to promote transparency, accountability, and proper internal governance of NGOs and state institutions;
• to support better cooperation between government and NGOs;
• to support public participation in decision-making;
• to promote the development of professional skills, knowledge and capacity relating to the enabling legal environment for civil society, including NGOs, in Bulgaria;
• to provide assistance to NGOs with respect to legal problems;
• to provide assistance in civil society legal reform efforts in other countries, where appropriate, and to foster international co-operation;
• to engage in activities to achieve such other objectives as determined by the Board of Trustees not inconsistent with the purposes and the identity of the Foundation
We work with highly-qualified consultants and keep in touch with experts in all fields related to NGO development.